Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thoughts on Surgery

First off, thanks for all the warm wishes and words of encouragement, it is appreciated. Now that I can gather my senses a bit better I did have a few thoughts on my surgery. The first now that I think back is it never really hit me that I was having surgery until I was being wheeled into the operating room. I kid you not, even after getting hooked up to the IV an hour before, the thought never crossed my mind. Then here I am being pushed down a hallway, lying on my back looking at the blah white tiles that every hospital has on their ceilings and still not thinking I'm going for surgery. I'm laying there looking up at the ceiling then all of a sudden some numbers come up. Rooms 1, 2 and 4 are lit and I realize that OR #3 is my destination. I was thinking this is very similar to taxiing on a runway at an airport waiting your turn in line so you can take off. That's when it hit me, I'm waiting to take off! You get to this point and it's pretty well to late to back out but the nurse must have seen a change of expression on my face because she asked if everything was alright. I thought, NO its not alright, I'm going into surgery where they plan on implanting a foreign object into my head AFTER they carve a nice little hole in my skull so it will fit, NO I'm not alright! Of course this is just what I thought, my verbal response was a simple, I'm okay, just a little scared that's all. After reassuring to me that everything would be fine, in we went. I can't say enough about the staff at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver, everyone I was in contact with was GREAT! The Resident Anesthetist was my liaison to the hearing world, he made sure I understood everyone and if I didn't he relayed it to me. Now in a world of mask its pretty tough to lip read but he made it a lot easier and said he would remove my hearing aid after I was asleep. Next thing I know I am waking up in recovery and like I mentioned in my earlier post, feeling not to bad. My hearing aid is back in and I briefly meet with my surgeon for the 3rd time that day, I would see him 4 times not counting the actual surgery, and he tells me everything went fantastic and they were very happy with the results. He also mentions that I may start to feel it a bit more after the medication starts to wear off, guess that's why they pay him the big bucks because he was right on. I have had 3 other ear surgeries so I knew what to expect in terms of nausea and how my body would react, I hoped for the best but got the same old, sick every time I lifted my head. Lasted for about 24 hours and although still feeling nauseous at least not throwing up anymore. So I'm on my way to recovery. Back at home and probably going into work tomorrow as long as I feel up to driving. Will keep you up to date, see my local doctor on the 24th to make sure all is headed in the right direction and looking forward to the week of August 27th when I will be hooked up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!
That is truley amazing.You did well considering the four hour drive home and keeping a eye on the road as I drove home.Hope your feeling better soon.
All my love
B

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey ,
We are so pleased all went well with your surgery and coming home ,your just a remarkable person .Our prayers are with you each day as you recovery .
Wow your spirits are great keep it up each day.
Love Dad and mom Bill and Anne

Unknown said...

Love ya dad,
Don't know what i would do without u. U mean the world 2 me! Can't wait till the 27th cause u will b able 2 hear again. I will always b here 4 u!
Luv always,
K8

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey
Glad to hear that everything went well and you are on the road to recovery. Talked to Bill and Anne the other night and they filled me in on what is going on. Just take one day at a time and we are thinking of you.

Auntie Marlene

Yana said...

Glad to know you are feeling better! You are in for some great stuff come August 27...