Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Radio!

First off, been really busy so have not had as much time to dedicate to my blog as I would like. I have been getting along quite well for the past 3 weeks. My new CI has already really improved my life! I am able to carry on conversations in noisy environments, where as before it was a lot of faking it and hoping I got things right. I have put myself in many different situations just to test my capabilities and have been very happy with the results. The main thing my CI is picking up is voice, and that is all I wanted. I do hear a lot more environmental sounds than I used to but it's the conversations that seem to be much easier to follow now. Since the CI is so focused on voice it tends to cause a problem when in a crowded room with many people talking at once, but this is difficult for everybody so I don't feel as bad. The voice coming into my ear is still very foreign and nothing I have every heard before but my brain is adapting and making it easier to understand. My biggest success so far is listening to the radio, while I am driving. I have been able to follow what is being said and I love it. It is only talk radio because music is still just noise but I will take this and look forward to it only improving.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news! I know how much you have missed listening to the radio. Jim Rome here we come!!!

Yana said...

Wonderful news! I am sort of the opposite - can't do radio, but music is great!

Linda Halldorson said...

We are overjoyed with your progress. We know that it hasn't been an easy road for you but hearing voice must seem like an incredible gift. Talked to your mother in law on the weekend and they are certainly delighted that you can hear . What's this about a new job? Congratulations!
Aunty Linda & Ron

Unknown said...

That is excellent Stacey, I know how much you enjoy radio, even if it is talk radio! Keep it up!

Shelley