Thursday, September 6, 2007

1 Week In!

Well actually it's a week and a half. Things are going good. I am hearing things I have not heard in a long time. Like the ticking of the clock in my office, how annoying! Voice is still a challenge and by challenge I mean it. It takes all my concentration to break down words that are introduced to my brain with this new sound. It should get easier as I go along because it has been 16 years since my right ear has really heard anything meaningful. I tried a movie with the kids on the last day before school started. In Kelowna here there is no rear window captioning (RWC) so movies are mostly just visual for people with hearing impairments. I did pretty good, figured I picked up about 25% of the dialog in the movie which is more than I was getting before. It was easier to follow what was going on, and I know this will get better. Didn't get the stereo effect because right now the 2 sounds going into my head are so different, maybe that will come too. Telephone is still difficult and at the present I prefer my hearing aid and we know how bad that is so I"ll keep working on that. Tried to listen to talk radio and had some success but tough to drive and listen at the same time. I know that sounds funny but it is one thing that we take for granted with normal hearing. Overall I'm pretty happy with progress and am seeing improvements daily so that is the direction I want to head in.

3 comments:

Linda Halldorson said...

Hi
Glad to hear that you are getting along so well. I guess we do take a lot for granted when things are "normal" After hearing almost nothing for so long it must feel like a new world has opened up for you. Keep up the progress.
Aunty Linda & Ron

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey,
congr.on your hearing as I ask Anne often how your doing .Keep up great work .
Louse&Patches

Anonymous said...

Hi
Glad to hear your doing so well and it was great to have you and your family over last Sunday and to see the joy with in you ,how will your coming along .Our pray's have been answered .keep up thatwork.
Bill and Anne,