Monday, August 27, 2007

I'm On!

Wow! This is a whole new experience. I tried to prepare myself for what I would hear, but I came nowhere near. I'm hearing again from my right ear. It is a sound like nothing I have heard before. When I was first turned on it was a constant noise of nothing, continuous noise of nothing just everything. I have put my hearing aid for my left ear away for now and all I hear is coming from my new cochlear implant. We had a 5 hour session today and put 2 programs on my CI. Environmental noise is just that, noise. Cannot tell one thing from the other. Voice is very difficult to hear and describe. Right now it is like someone talking through a microphone in an empty room after they have inhaled helium. But I can hear that messed up voice and am able to have a conversation in a quiet room still relying on lip-reading. I count this as a success and look forward to it improving daily. Tomorrow we start working on fine tuning and hoping we can get something nailed down before I head back. Today went beyond my expectations and we are very happy.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yipee! I am so pleased that you are happy. Congrats on a successful day. You know our prayers and thoughts are with all of you, I know this is going to be great for you all. It has been a long journey and we wish you the best. Keep us posted. Love to you.

Shelley

Anonymous said...

What a day!To see the excitement on your face I will never forget.I know that you have a long road ahead of you but what you experienced today was more then I expected. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
Always by your side.
B

Linda Halldorson said...

Hi
Congratulations. We can't imagine what a wonderful feeling it must be to hear . THIS DAY HAS BEEN LONG IN COMING FOR YOU & YOUR FAMILY. We know from now on it will only get better..Our prayers are with you that you have total sucess We look forward to having a visit with you one day and having you tell us all about your experience.
Our best to you all
Aunty Linda & Ron

Unknown said...

I love u Dad! I can't believe how well u did w/ communicating w/ us yesterday! It is amazing! I can't w8 2 c the results after a wk of programming. I will always b here 4 u!

Luv Always,
K8

Anonymous said...

Way to go Dad! Great job for the first time hearing out of your right ear. I know that from now on it will get better and better day after day.

Love Josh

Anonymous said...

Woof Woof! Can u hear me? I Woof u!

Pawsome Kisses,
Polo
Woof Woof

Anonymous said...

Cough Cough Woof. Can u hear me? Woof Woof Thump.

Pawesome Kisses,
Guess
Cough Cough

Anonymous said...

Stacey,
Cong.I can just see the joy in you and your family on the first day ,when Belinda called the trears of joy i had so did dad.What a miracle that my prayer has been answered for you for so many years I didn't give up I new that some day it will happen and now its hear .
Guess gave's you her love and misses you also god bless with prayer's .
Our love dad ,mom and guess ,hugs,

Yana said...

Hehe. Congratulations. It only gets better. :)