Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Support!

Wow, where would I be without it? I have had tremendous support from my wife. She has been incredibly strong through all of this and she is amazing. She never let me get down in the beginning and she is the one that has kept me up all these years. Think about it, one day all is normal and the next day you have a husband with a major disability. I know we all face hardships and are judged by them but with my own personal experience I could not have done the things I have done since losing my hearing without the support that I have received from my wife! My kids, when I first lost my hearing my daughter had the ability to communicate with me through writing, she continues to do this to this day, she is a fabulous writer. She does not know this but the way she expresses herself with her dance is something that I cherish. Both kids learned quickly that actions are gonna speak louder than words and they adapted. My son was very young and he was just learning to read and write at the time so communicating for him was a bit more difficult. He really was coming into his own, communication wise, when I lost my hearing and I remember the fear I had of never getting to really know his voice. He has adapted well, we have our own way to communicate that I don't think his mom even knows about just me and him. He tells me he loves me and that I am the best Dad in the whole world without even saying a word. One example of adjustment that they have all made is they know which environments are more difficult for me to hear in and sometimes they will answer a question for me that I didn't even know I was being asked. They all continue to support my journey back into the hearing world and are all very excited about what lies ahead. My family all have their own expectations for the CI, I hope they come true!

No comments: