Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Movie Theaters

We are a movie family, we try to get out opening night or at least opening weekend for the big flicks that we all can enjoy. Movie theaters for the hearing impaired are a challenge. As I have stated earlier I have no hearing on my right side, I do have some residual hearing in my left ear. I have not heard in stereo for years but sure remember sitting in movie theaters with the sound rumbling from one side to the next as if you right in the action. Even though we all know how loud the theaters can be at times, it is almost impossible to pick up any dialog, you just have to watch for actions. Rear Window Captioning (RWC) is offered in the larger theaters in Canada and with this you have a transparent screen that sits in your cup holder in the theater that picks up captions which are posted in reverse above the movie projector window. Its not the best but I love it right now. Only trouble is there is no RWC in Kelowna, so if I want to see what is being said it's off to Vancouver. Secretly this is one of the things I am hoping most for with the CI, to be able to tell which way sound is coming from and yeah maybe enjoy a movie with sound surround and be totally blown away by the advances in sound in the last 13 years. Not really expecting to understand the dialog, just sit back and absorb the sound. Wait and see I guess, wait and see......

No comments: